A crown is a cover or cap placed on a tooth. They are made to restore the normal size, shape, and function of a tooth. Crowns will increase the strength of weakened teeth and improve their cosmetic appearance.
Crowns are used for various reasons:
1. When a cavity is too large to be restored with a filling.
2. To cover a dental implant
3. To restore a tooth that is cracked, worn down, or otherwise weakened.
4. To protect the tooth following root canal treatment
5. To improve the aesthetics of a tooth that is discoloured, misshapen, or simply to improve your smile.
Crowns are fabricated from several different materials. These include metal alloys, porcelain bonded to metal, or full porcelain. The decision on which type of material to use will be based on many factors which Dr. Kesthely will review with you so that the crown that is fabricated will be aesthetically pleasing and comfortable.